[Gnu-arch-users] Re: a brief note on "delta compression"

From: Greek0
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: a brief note on "delta compression"
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 23:17:40 +0200

On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:31:34 +0100
Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 04:27:58PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > My personal hunch is that the proper X is right around 5. I've got
> > no actual proof for that, mind you.
>
> You've neatly oversimplified the problem :P
>
> The appropriate size for X is the jump which people want to frequently
> make. That's probably precisely the distance between each pair of
> releases.

I think it very much depends. Matthieu Moys approach sounds nice
(combining cacherevs & CDs). So cacherevs at releases and CDs over 10
csets or something like that could give nice behavior IMHO. I could also
imagine some kind of frontend based on tla hooks that did something like
this automatically and easily configureable (think GUI frontend with a
slider "Space Efficient" <----> "Time Efficient" ;)

The compressed delta approach sounds quite nice IMHO, but I'm worried a
bit about code complexity, and I think that there are more important
things to do for now.

Cheers,
Greek0