Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sftp rename?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] sftp rename?
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:14:44 +1100

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 22:14, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > My suggestions:
> >
> >   (1) Accept a number of alternative names for the same service:
> >
> >          ssh-ftp:, sftp:, fish:
>
> I like the 'ssh-ftp:' one a lot; that solves the problem at hand.  Anyone
> against?

I am. It's adding variety where none need exist. URI schemes _should_
refer to RFC's or failing that to I-D's. sftp:// is in such an I-D.

The key issues - training is IMO equally well documented by something
like:

Archive access methods:
tla supports a number of different mechanisms to access archives. These
are:
local file paths.
ftp:// urls - the well known RFC1738 ftp.
wftp:// urls - a tla specific hack which uses a different parser for
directory listing.
http:// urls - rfc2616 and 2518 (http and webdav) access. Respectively
read-only and read-write.
sftp:// urls - ssh version 2 sftp subsystem urls - currently documented
in
http://www.vandyke.com/technology/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri.txt

IIRC there's something like this in the wiki today.

It's just a shame google doesn't hit the arch wiki - a real shame.

Rob