Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:53:11 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 01:17 US/Pacific, Neil Stevens wrote:

On the other hand, if you mistreat your early adopters by breaking
everything of theirs, that will just discourage user of the software.

I agree, and believe that it should be possible to move forward without mistreating anyone.

I believe that all of the internal control files of the system ({arch}, configs) should be hidden from default visibility and globbing (.arch-params, .arch-ids).

If users need arch to remind them that directories are handled by arch, hooks should be capable of supporting this for those users. For example (I've not used hooks, so this may be wrong):

if [ $1 = "init-tree" ]
then
        touch $ARCH_TREE_ROOT/"HandledByArch(tm)"
        tla add $ARCH_TREE_ROOT/"HandledByArch(tm)"
fi

Those of us who want the revision control system to stay out of our way when we're not using it might not do such a thing.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>