gnoppix-user

Re: [Gnoppix-user] BETA-Test 0.7

From: Harold Bower
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-user] BETA-Test 0.7
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:18:42 -0400

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:13:39 +0200
Andreas Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Note for Beta-Testers, please submit your report till 31th July
>      This is a non-public release for beta-tester

Andreas, Ausgezeichnet!  This is the first Gnoppix release that I have
been able to actually use, and successfully install on hard disk.  The
system used is a Shuttle SK-41 (AMD Athlon, 1.34 GHz, 512 MB DDR Memory,
160 GB Maxtor hda, DVD drive at hdc).

>From CDROM, the system booted with only one error message (only one
CPU), but continued.  The password for root access was unknown, so I was
not able to configure networking or some other poking around, so I
installed to hard disk.

The drive was already partitioned as:
        hda1 - 58 MB            - was /boot
        hda2 - 517 HB <swap>
        hda3 <extended>
        hda4 - 134 GB           - was /data
        hda5 - 2 GB             - was /var
        hda6 - 1 GB             - was /
        hda7 - 8 GB             - was /usr
        hda8 - 18 GB            - was /home

During the install steps, I selected hda1 for /boot, and hda6 for /, but
received an error on / size, so I used hda7.  It never asked for other
partitions.

When the installation finished, it would not boot from any of the
entries in the grub menu, so I edited the entries, and added a new one.
It seems that the installer mis-computes some of the partition numbers.

After booting the hard drive, the sound was set up properly and
utilities properly played music CDs.  I was unable to play DVDs (I only
own two).  Both xine and MPlayer aborted with an error reading NAV
packet.  I am still trying to track this down.

Is it possible to have the kernel compiled with lm_sensors?  gkrellm is
much nicer, and I feel better, when it displays CPU temperatures and fan
RPMs, since some of these things run hot.

On the list of 'nice-to-have' would be fonts for Korean characters.  I
noticed that some Japanese and others are installed, but hangul (Korean)
is missing and I was unable to view the characters (see
www.music-plaza.com for a sample).

 Here is my resulting /boot/grub/menu.lst with the first entry which I
added.

# See www.gnu.org/software/grub for details
# By default, boot the first entry
default 0
# Boot automatically after 5 seconds
timeout 5

##-- This is the working entry.  HFB  11 Jul 2004
title Gnoppix
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hdc=scsi vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title Morphix GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

title GNU/Linux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 noapic acpi=off apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=791 splash=silent quiet

Hal