gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] lost in beginner land

From: John Smothers
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] lost in beginner land
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:49:43 -0800 (PST)

I don't know how "eager" this list's followers are to
a clueless beginner, but I'm a beginner and need help.
 I have WindowsXP and want to try Gnoppix.  I burnt
the gnoppix iso to a cd using xp.  I have a dell
machine and xp covers up all boot up info.

So, I figured I would just hope for the best and put
in the cd and reboot.  Nothing happened, except for XP
booting up, so I'm left to 2 ideas.  Either my bios
are not set up to boot from cd or burning the iso with
the xp software didn't do something correctly.

Is there a standard site(s) I can go look at to find
out what bios I am using and how to reconfigure it?
Or a place where complete newbie questions and hand
holding is more appropriately done?

Thank you,
John Smothers

More reasons to help this lost soul :).  I am the
classic target user: a windows home user and a solaris
work user that wants to try linux in the hope of
leaving windows.  I hear live linux cds are a great
place to start.