Re: custom From when sendsms

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: custom From when sendsms
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:36:11 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 22:40, Vieri<address@hidden> wrote:
> Can I "forge" the sender number in a "gnokii --sendsms"?

No.

> I guess there's no way to change the SIM's number unless the service provider
> does it for me, right?

You're confusing here few things. SIM number is a different thing than
MSISDN which is something you refer to as "number". MSISDN is usually
bound to SIM card but it's not 1:1 relation (consider dual SIMs and
similiar stuff). To forge MSISDN you don't need to change the
assignment.

> Please note that "forgery" in this case would be "legitimate" because I'd
> like to use "my" numbers only (say I sendsms on several GSM devices but want
> to always receive on just one).

You need special access to SMSC. As far as I know usual protocol
between SMSC and a mobile phone does not allow changing originating
MSISDN. In that case you in fact don't need any own MSISDN or phone.