Re: Get complete, recursive file list?

From: Mariano Draghi
Subject: Re: Get complete, recursive file list?
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:15:11 -0300

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Mariano Draghi <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Powel,
>
> Pawel that is :)

Ok, Hi Pawel then :)

>> It's a Nokia 6131, and yes, I suppose it supports Obex protocol.
>
> For Nokia 6131 I think you can use "byid" gnokii commands. Please take
> a look  for them -- they may be more suitable for your purpose. You
> can just iterate by ids not parsing any strings.

I haven't looked much into the "byid" commands... but I've tried them
a couple of times, and I always got an error back. As the other
commands work just fine, I assumed the "byid" commands don't work with
this model.
Unfortunately I'm not at my box right now to give you the exact
error... I'll try again later. Anyway, getting an Id back doesn't
solve the issue of how to distinguish a regular file from a directory,
or how to avoid doing the recursion myself, at least parsing gnokii
stdout... unless I'm missing something?

>> But I thought that Obex protocol was something related (exclusively)
>> with Bluetooth filetransfers...
>
> No, it's not. You can have Obex over IrDA or USB as well.

Ok. I don't know how Obex work, but I'll have a look at it.

>> Anyway, ¿would it be possible to read the filesystem using Obex, while
>> the phone is connected with the USB cable in "standard" (*no*
>> data-transfer) mode?
>
> I think so. If FBUS works, Obex should work as well. AFAIR for 6131
> there's DKU-2 compatible phone. You may lsusb -vvv and see whether
> Obex end-point is visible.

I don't know if FBUS works. Last time I checked there's no reference
to FBUS in /var/log/messages when I plug the phone, but gnokii talks
to the phone just fine.
The cable is a CA-53, but yes, I'm using the dku2 "userland" (libusb)
driver from gnokii.

On the other hand, I can transfer files from/to the phone using
bluetooth from GNOME, and I *think* that uses Obex (over bluetooth, of
course), so yes, the phone itself supports Obex.

>> Sorry for the long post, bat maybe with all that background someone
>> can offer a better idea...
>
> I can assist improving file support. As far as I can see you're into
> Python, so if you are interested we may approach Python bindings for
> gnokii it that makes things easier.

I don't have any experience making python bindigs for C libraries.
Using gnokii directly as a module from python would be awesome; my
current approach (invoking gnokii as a subprocess, and parsing it's
stdout) is not much fun :p, but I'm not sure if I want to add another
sub-project to this project (the sub-project would be develop the
python bindings for gnokii, learning how to do it in the process); at
least for the time being this "playlist manager" is a personal itch,
and if I don't see some usable results in the short term, I know I
would lost the interest in doing it.
But then again, maybe making the bindings is as easy as anything else
in Python ;) I should investigate that a little.

Thanks!

--
Mariano / el cHagHi [ http://chaghi.com.ar/blog ]
PyAr - Python Argentina [http://python.org/ar ]