Re: SMSD?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: SMSD?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:59:38 +0200

Hi,

Nobody answered, so I will try.

On 6/25/07, Jari Turkia <address@hidden> wrote:
Could someone explain what SMSD is and what it's for? Why would anybody
be using words "SQL" and "receiving SMS" in a same sentence?

SMSD is like README says deamon for receiving and sending SMSes. It
uses libgnokii as a backend for communicating with the phone and
various backends for storing incoming SMSes. Currently supported
backends are: mysql, postgresql and file.
SMSD is able to send SMS (not sure if it is possible with file
module): it processes inserted records from outbox table.
It is also able to read SMS from the phone and perform certain actions on them.

It has zero documentation in the wiki.

smsd/README is the whole documentation.

It does not use autoconf/automake.

Unfortunately.

It seems to have packages on various distros and even
a man-page. However, among all unclear things is if it can be used for
anything practical.

Again see README :)

Does anybody know how to start one? For a daemon it seems to lack
init-script.
Is anybody using it?

Certainly.

Does anybody know the DB schema for tables?

See smsd/ directory. There are SQL scripts for creating schema.

Why would anybody waste project's precious development resources for
something as trivial as message handling?

Well, I belive such functionality may be useful for somebody.

Why is SMSD in Gnokii anyway? Shouldn't it be in gnokii-extras?

IMHO that should be separate gnokii module (module in CVS repository terms)

Wouldn't it be lot easier to check incoming SMS-messages with a bash or
a PHP -script?

Denpends on your needs and on what you mean by "easier".

Personally I don't use SMSD but I know some people do and there was
demand for it.