Re: OT question on DECT phones

From: Timothy Murphy
Subject: Re: OT question on DECT phones
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:23:37 +0100

On Wed 13 Jul 2005 22:48, Phil Ashby wrote:

> >It's amazing with all this talk of convergence
> >that there seems so little convergence in the obvious case,
> >between GSM to fixed line.
> >Why can't I have one phone with a button on it,
> >for GSM or DECT?
>
> There are a few landline phones that can read / write GSM SIM cards, for
> instance my BT Relate can do this. As near as you get to the GSM/DECT
> switchable phone (I think) is the BT Fusion product, which is an
> automatic switchover from GSM to Bluetooth and your landline via a
> special basestation.

I think I read that there is a catch in this -
doesn't anyone calling the number have to pay as if ringing a mobile?

But what is the problem in making such a phone -
surely it is simple from the hardware point of view ?
So is there pressure on the manufacturers not to do it?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366