Re: compiling gnokii under Win32/cygwin, HOWTO

From: Mark Lakata
Subject: Re: compiling gnokii under Win32/cygwin, HOWTO
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 02:27:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pawel Kot" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:43 AM

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Mark Lakata wrote:
>
> > 2. copy the serial_nreceived() and serial_flush() subroutines from
> > unixserial.c into winserial.c, and remove everything but the last lines
that
> > return the no error flag. In other words, just put in dummies to get the
> > program to properly link.  My guess that no one has tried compiling for
> > windows for a while...
>
> Could you please provide the patch? And consult it with Feico de Boer?
> Thank you.

append this to winserial.c:

GSM_Error serial_nreceived(int fd, int *n)
{
        return GE_NONE;
}

GSM_Error serial_flush(int fd)
{
        return GE_NONE;
}

Of course this is a hack, but it seems to work ok.

> > 4. edit the common/Makefile and gnokii/Makefile and fix the 'install:'
> > targets. The $(DEST_DIR) appears to be poorly implemented; it causes an
> > error with 'install'. just delete the sequence "$(DEST_DIR)/" in two
places
> > in each of these makefiles. you will see what happens if you don't...
>
> DESTDIR is the environment variable that allows you to install gnokii not
> under the / but under the required root dir (eg. when you create the
> binary package or then not installing as root.

This is not a standard autoconf feature. Normally, you configure the
destination directory as an option to ./configure (ie
./configure --prefix=/my/inst/dir/path).

Currently, if DESTDIR is not defined, install attempts to install the files
in "//usr/local/bin", which is an invalid path. This is because DESTDIR =
"", and libdir = /usr/local/bin, so the expression $(DESTDIR)/${libdir} is
incorrect (containing two slashes).  I've never seen this DESTDIR method
before, and it currently does not work with cygwin.

-Mark