[Gnewsense-dev] Documenting Release Notes

From: Felipe Lopez
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Documenting Release Notes
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:19:25 -0500

Hi,

Just to let you know that I created a page called Release Notes [1]. There are
still no release notes because I couldn't find any in the wiki.

I've found Django's release notes very informative and well organized, so I'd
like to propose we use something similar. See, for example, the release notes
for Django 1.5 [2].

I think release notes could help answer questions like the following, and others that are asked
by people interested in more technical details.

    <comradekingu> http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/Features could this be updated with stats from the 3.0?
    [11:33] <comradekingu> It would be useful with http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#$REF being seperated into what is different from debian
    [11:33] <comradekingu> we took this, made it into this, doing these changes, and this is why that is better
    [11:35] <comradekingu> what modules are taken out/how is the kernel changed, what is taken out from main. And what packages are now "fixed" in main
    [11:39] <comradekingu> Something a little bit better than this http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree  bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.needsclean   bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree

The release notes page is now linked from the download [3] and documentation [4]
pages for people interested in knowing the details about the changes introduced
with each gNewSense release.

What do you think?

[1]: http://www.gnewsense.org/ReleaseNotes
[2]: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/releases/1.5/