Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [Bug: #37917] Add gNewSense distribution names to li

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [Bug: #37917] Add gNewSense distribution names to lintian
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:26:52 +0100

Op Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:14:35 +0100
schreef Marek Buras <address@hidden>:
> I started to work on lintian package yesterday (have read its code

Thanks.

> and all packaging related stuff) and have some quesions:
>
> * There are procedures related to Ubuntu in the code (mostly checks
> and tests). Is that OK to leave them as they are and create
> additional gNewSense related functions and tags? Or is it better to
> replace them? Do we need to be compatibile with Ubuntu distributions?

We generally want to keep the difference with the Debian package as
small as possible. So it's better to create additional stuff for
gNewSense. That also makes it easier for Debian should they decide to
include those customizations for us.

> * Current version is called 2.4.3+squeeze1. Should I rename it to
> let's say 2.4.3+gnewsense1 or something different?

Leave the Debian version as is and postfix it with the gnewsense
version. So it should be 2.4.3+squeeze1gnewsense1. This guarantees that
it's a higher version than the current one in Debian, but lower than
the next one (check with dpkg --compare-versions). This is not really a
problem for us now, because "gnewsense" comes before "squeeze" in the
alphabet, but we shouldn't count on that.