Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mipsel gNS 3 + crypto

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mipsel gNS 3 + crypto
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:41:35 +0200

Ted Smith schreef:
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 20:02 +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2010 11:32:28 -0700 (PDT)
"Jason Self" <address@hidden> wrote:

upstream d-i supports crypted filesystems, but i don't know if that
was added after the version we are using was frozen off or not.
Support for encrypted installs was added to the Debian installer back
in 2006 [1] so I'm confused by the above statement.
Let me try again :)
"I have no idea when crypted filesystems entered debian-installer. it
may have happened after debian5 was released, in which case it is
unavailable. alternatively, it may be disabled by us (somehow) to
reduce support complexity for the installer"
I honestly have no idea, i've never looked at our installer code.

I don't mean to be harsh here, but do you know what's happening here, or
were you just giving me a "generic" response ('x doesn't work' -> 'not
enough resources, fix it yourself')?

I would love to get this working in gNewSense for me and for the
community, but to do that I need to even know where to look.
Specifically, the questions I need answers for include:

      * Is this a problem in d-i, in the mipsel debian port, or in
        gNewSense?
      * Was it a feature that wasn't available when gNS based off of
        Debian, or did gNS disable it after the fact for whatever
        reason?

These questions require an understanding of this specific issue and it
should be understood that I am not asking these questions to the people
here.

I'm fairly certain that the installer normally supports it, but that it's disabled in our installer (for every architecture). I don't know exactly why that is (Robert Millan made our installer, incl. preseed). Possibly it didn't work well on the YeeLoong.

What people on this list (which is now the -dev list ;-) should be able
to answer (or point to an answer) is:

      * When did gNS base from Debian?
      * Where can I find a version history of gNewSense deltas? Is this
        the bazaar repo on savannah?

Normally, in Bazaar, but I don't think we keep the installer there (or anywhere else). We need to figure that one out (again).

I hope this can be resolved; it would be a shame if users would have to
give up privacy in order to gain freedom.

Most users don't need this feature, so it's more of a nice to have. Any help is appreciated, though.