RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo

From: Russell Currey
Subject: RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:53:51 +1000

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 23:26 +0000, Elias Angulo wrote:
> Yes please, I would like to do everything all right with the repo,
> send me the requisites you want or look for me in the IRC under the
> nick felix ;)
>
> At the moment I succesfully generated the GPG key, which is F148081A
> and its right placed in the repo and APT can manage it.
>
> And I am trying to export VLC from the Ubuntu multiverse repo, and
> upload to mine. I asked, it respects the Four Freedoms, and it does,
> but have patenting problems. I googled a bit and found a repo called
> "multistanza" that initially has the  purpose of hosting this kind of
> multiverse programs.
>
> deb http://multistanza.freedomdreams.co.uk/ binary-i386/
>

> > Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:55:04 +0930
> > From: address@hidden
> > To: address@hidden
> > Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo

> as

> work

> distro
> number
> such
> looks

> > > Well, the server has been up since i set it up and its pretty
> stable.
> > > I reaches sometimes 100kb/s. At the moment im looking for the
> > > linux-libre kernel source in a tarball; perhaps the missing .dsc
> file
> > > would be in there. What i'm looking for is a kind of fle with the
> > > description and other stuff that dpgk-scansources can read. Here's
> > > copy of part of man dkpg-scansources:
> >
> > (trim)
> >
> > > So, Ali, if youre at charge of maintain those packages, could you
> > > make that file and a tar.gz for the source including it? I found
> > > strange, a source in a .deb package, its the first time i've seen.
> >
> > Its standard practise in Debian/Ubuntu.
> >
> > > The target of the repo its not only to host kernel-libre. I could
> > > host any Free package not available in other repos. It was idea of
> > > Ark74, calling it Libre Repo, for this purpose. Im open to
> > > suggestions. :D
> >
> > If your going to make a 3rd party repository make sure its got some
> > quality standards (start with lintian clean). I started making up a
> > list of requirements for a 3rd party repo I was planning to set up,
> > can find it if you want.
> > kk

What do you mean by patenting problems?  gNewSense contains the
gstreamer set of plugins, which could fall under "patenting problems".

Also, multistanza is a repository that is hosted on the owner's PC and
doesn't have any form of reliable uptime.  If we could host a fully free
VLC (and other free multiverse programs) on the proposed repository, it
wouldn't just be gNS users that would benefit from it.
--
Russell Currey (ruscur/rusty)
Noob programmer, FSF member and gNewSense contributor