Re: [Gnash] Gnash query

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash query
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:04:56 -0600

Jonathan Gowar wrote:

i) Is there not a viable Flash alternative? Not merely a free Flash player!

No there is not, plus there are millions of files of existing content in the existing swf format.

ii) Free software projects that support proprietary formats will only encourage its continued use. Is there another reason to support, which I have overlooked?

Gaining access to all the existing content is important to avoid lock in. As Flash dominates the web for things like menus, and more than just YouTube, the free software community needs a flash solution, or we become 2ns class citizens on the internet.

Clearly, Gnash is great, don't get me wrong. But, why are trying to soothe the symptoms, instead of producing a cure?

The purpose of Gnash is to produce compatible tools, not to be inventing a new tool with no user base. Inventing a new format and tools, getting it adopted to where millions of people are using it is fine, but it's not what we're trying to do.

        - rob -