Re: [Gnash] Gnash speed and free software

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash speed and free software
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:01:50 -0600

Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> Maybe we can help on this (since we are very interested in it). At
> least we can see if we would be able to do that. However, there is no
> documentation for Gnash so far (at least I found none) and it would be
> good start to have some info about the structure of Gnash, or how one
> would implement a new backend in general...

  Although writing a new backend isn't documented, other internals
topics are. There's an online copy of the manual at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnash.html. In the backend
subdirectory there are several other backends, the OpenGL one, an Xbox
one, a Cairo one, and a D3D one. You basically have to implement a bunch
of bitmap operations that fit into a rough API. If the code isn't
explanatory enough, I'll see if I can add a chapter to the manual on this.

        - rob -