Re: [Gnash] Debian Packages for Gnash

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Debian Packages for Gnash
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:10:41 -0600

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> I've finally finished some Debian Packages with Gnash. As it is still under
> heavy development, I plan to upload them to experimental repository, not to
> unstable.

  I'm hoping to do the official release soon. I'm only now waiting to
hear back from the Mozilla Foundation about the specific wording of the
GPL exemption, since I'd hate to make a release with an unsatisfactory
license clause. All the other paperwork is done, and the FSF has
accepted the copyright assignment for this project.

> And I'm dividing the program in 5 different binary packages:
>
> libgnash0 - shared objects, common to all the rest
> libgnash-dev - static objects and header files, for development
> gnash - standalone program
> mozilla-plugin-gnash - plugin for mozilla and firefox
> konqueror-plugin-klash - plugin for konqueror
>
> Any comments are welcome, especially related to the package names :)

  Since I've been hacking on package building as well, I'm not sure if
it's worth building a libgnash-dev package, since Gnash doesn't really
export an API for other developers. At least not yet. :-)

  The plugin for konqueror or mozilla should probably be the way they
are for now, and having "mozilla-" as the prefix is traditional. I do
sortof prefer the shorter name that was suggested mozilla-gnash and
konqueror-gnash. I'd prefer to stick to "Gnash" instead of "klash" for
the package so people realize they are related. For now, Klash is merely
Gnash with a KDE GUI.

  One thought is right now the klash executable winds up in the gnash
package with the other standalone player, and I'm wondering if it should
be in the konqueror-gnash package instead, since it's only used by the
Konqueror plugin.

        - rob -