Re: [Gnash] gnash testing

From: Jens Petersen
Subject: Re: [Gnash] gnash testing
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:21:38 +0900

Rob Savoye wrote:
Jens Petersen wrote:

Hmmm, pkgconfig doesn't seem an unreasonable dependency to me, considering that libxml2, gtk2, cairo, pango, glib2, and gtkglext all support it.

Right. But those are new dependencies for the GTK version of the player. pkgconfig isn't supported on all platforms though, for instance it would make cross-compiling with MingW or VC++ impossible, or other embedded platforms like eCOS or VxWorks. Gnash isn't just for the desktop...

Ok, fair point. :)

Anyway the main problem with current configure file seems to be for the gtk family of libs. This is what configure gives on my FC5 x86_64 box:
[snip]
Configured paths for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu are:
[examples of misconfig snipped]
The simple pkgconfig hack patch I posted in my original mail at least makes it build on x86_64 for me on both FC4 and FC5 (and on i386 too of course).

All this has added is the path to the config files, which I've never needed to do to build Gnash on any platforms.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here? (I was going to comment in the previous mail that x86_64 Linux seems an important arch for gnash on the desktop.:)

They should probably be included though, so I'll add them to the macros. I don't mind a hack that'll use pkgconfig if present, and then drop into my own tests if not. I'll look into it when I add these additional include paths.

Anyway, I agree using pkgconfig if available and otherwise falling back to something like the current configure tests should make most people happy. :)

Thanks, Jens