Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies

From: Alias
Subject: Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:10:30 +0000

Hi Strk,

There are many potential exploits that flash could be used for (large
scale DOS, phishing, password theft, etc) that could be executed via
flash. Opening up the security model is just asking for trouble. Up
until now, it has largely prevented the creation of flash viruses, and
scripting attacks. The only potentially contentious aspect of flash is
its use of LSOs, which are basically just another implementation of
cookies.

A flash movie can be made to execute many more requests in a shorter
amount of time than a regular html page. It would be pretty trivial to
waste a *lot* of other people's bandwidth if you could get a malicious
flash movie up on a high traffic site.

Remember, flash can load other scripted content into itself. Flash
isn't just loading GIFs & Jpegs the same way as a web page is, it's
between being able to load images and sounds. Do you really want the
ability for untrusted parties to be able to execute bytecode on your
machine?

Essentially, I suspect that relaxing the security sandbox would create
a new breed of script kiddies, and potentially more sinister spyware
and viruses. The current restrictions allow legitimate operations,
while making abuse extremely difficult. I would be very cautious about
changing this.

Thanks,
Alias