Re: [Gnash] portability update

From: Richard Brooklyn
Subject: Re: [Gnash] portability update
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:47:27 +0000

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 08:24 -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Richard Brooklyn wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 18:21 -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:
>
> > Great work. I can now finally compile gnash on my amd64-linux platform.
> > Firefox doesn't 'see' the gnash plugin, even after restarting it, but I
> > understand that the plugin is under heavy development right now.
>
>    If Firefox doesn't see the plugin, it's usually a matter of undefined
> libraries. The plugin won't be build it you don't have the Mozilla or
> Firefox development packages install. The only way I know to see what is
> wrong with the plugin loading is to build Firefox from source with
> debugging enabled. That way yo9u get all the messages about what went wrong.

I did set the plugin to compile by installing Ubuntu's firefox-dev
package. I tried to re-run configure to double check, and fell fowl of
another bug:

config.status: creating config.h
config.status: linking ./doc/C/images to doc/C/images
rm: cannot remove `doc/C/images': Is a directory
cp: omitting directory `./doc/C/images'
config.status: error: cannot link or copy ./doc/C/images to doc/C/images

This only happens when configure is run twice. rm'ing the gnash
directory and checking out the CVS again and running configure seems to
fix this. This looked fairly simple, so I attempted to rm doc/C/images
(I'm not a coder, this was just a guess), but that only made things
worse.

But yes, the plugin is being built according to configure. Running
firefox from the console threw up this error:
address@hidden:~$ firefox
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared
library /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libgnash.so
[/usr/local/lib/libserver.so.0: undefined symbol: mad_timer_zero]

(the error is on one line only, evolution has wrapped it)

There doesn't appear to be a debug package available in Ubuntu for
firefox (which is a bit strange). But I am willing to compile something
if it provides more information.