Re: [Gnash] Legal warnings

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Legal warnings
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:03:16 -0700

a thing wrote:

Firstly, beware of section 3h of the Macromedia Flash Player license
which follows:

Thanks for thinking ahead. For GameSWF, this was interpreted that if you don't reverse engineer the MacroMedia flash player, or use any commercial MacroMedia documentation, you would be a "clean developer". For instance I've never owned any MacroMedia tools, signed any license agreements, nor disassembled any MacroMedia products. It was considered perfectly OK to use other SWF format or flash documentation on the net. This may be worth getting a real opinion about though, but I believe all the development so far is clean.

But you make a valid point that it is good for any developer to be careful about these things. I should probably make the mp3 support disabled by default too.

By the way, is it pronounced "guh-nash" or "nash"?

Ah, a really important question. :-) I pronounce it the first way, as in "gnashing one's teeth". It's a smashing together of "GNU" and "Flash".... Gnash...

        - rob -