Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Problem with Drawing API

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Problem with Drawing API
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:58:41 +0100

Hello zou,

Tuesday, November 6, 2007, 9:35:29 AM, you wrote:
zl> Try the following example, you'll see the differences between Gnash
zl> and PP.  Conceptually, we need the
zl> 'normalization' step to finish the last two lines(commented in the
zl> example code) if user forget to do that.  And this
zl> step is probably more complex  in  general cases and we don't have any
zl> specs to define the "expected" behaviour.

Yes, that's the big problem.

zl> That's why I said drawingAPI users should be responsible for their
zl> shapes.

Note that the drawing API is mostly used for dynamic vectors. What the
"user" draws might depend greatly on some dynamic data which in some
situations might produce "malformed" shapes. This means that you force
users to do automatic normalization of dynamic shapes, so this does
not solve the problem - it just moves it around.

Anyway, since the proprietary player does not require such
"normalization" we can't do it either.

Normalization in the renderer: nope, duplicated code

Normalization in the drawing API: yes, sir!

zl>         // lineTo(200, 200);  // with or without these two lines doesn't
make
zl> a difference with pp.
zl>         // endFill();

This could be a different bug. I guess the drawing API just does not
implicitely endFill() at the end of the script, which it should
obviously do.

Udo