Re: [Gnash-dev] Docbook derived documentation on the website

From: ann
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Docbook derived documentation on the website
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:59:31 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, strk wrote:

>> How is the document http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnash.html
>> updated?  I am wondering if the file is copied manually, because it seems
>> to be much older than the current version of the file.
>
>There's a repository for that website too, see :
>https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gnash
>
>On commit, the website is updated.

I didn't word this question well; I've been using the web repository.

I want to know if this file gets updated manually (I go to the code
repository, I generate the HTML file from the docbook, I copy the file
to the website repository, and then check it in so that it is updated
on the website), or if it is meant to be automated (synced from the
code repository).

I think that it is manual.

>> Should I update it, or is it meant to always describe the most recent
>> release of the software, rather than the most recent version in the
>> repository?  I know that most of my changes to the files have been
>> corrections, rather information about new functionality, but suspect
>> that's not the case for the Testing chapter.
>>
>> Could someone please comment?
>
>Mmm... I think we should have two versions on the manual published,
>one for the latest release and one for current CVS.
>Actually, when new releases come out it might be worth keeping
>the manual for older releases online, as an archive...

That sounds reasonable.  In that case, I think it might be nice to
automate the generation of the current CVS document (I'm thinking of
a standard name for this draft of the document, like current.html).

I think it's best to trigger it from a checkin of one of thte files in
doc/C, but if that's hard to automate I can script something at my end,
or even make a cron job for it.

- Ann