Re: [Gm2] git is now operational

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] git is now operational
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:11:56 +0000

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:

> john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Gauis:
>>
>> On 11/08/13 10:07, Gaius Mulley wrote (in part):
>>> The advantage with the new structure is that we no longer have modules
>>> within cvs/git.  Which should remove a large source of confusion.  The
>>> git clone gm2 command (cvs checkout gm2) will now check out the
>>> compiler/libraries/testsuite.
>>
>> Can I no longer use CVS to checkout gm2 or do I point to a different
>> location from the former address@hidden:/sources/gm2?  All I
>> seem to be able to check out from the former CVS archives.
>>
>> jog
>
> Hi John,
>
> indeed, git has to be used to retrieve the latest repository.
> Sorry for the confusion with the above message.
>
> regards,
> Gaius

Hi John,

I had hoped from reading this page:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/

that we would be able to use cvs in compatibility mode via:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/gm2.git co -d gm2 master

but alas it just seems to hang.

I wonder if you might be able to use:

$ git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/gm2.git
(as a replacement for cvs checkout etc)

and then

$ git pull
(as a replacement for cvs update)

I recognise that your scripts would need a few changes - to reflect
git usage and also the new directory structure.  I hope this is not
too much of an inconvenience.

Once done you should see an improvement in update times and huge
improvement between 'cvs diff' and 'git diff'.  From where I sit
this used to take 7 minutes in cvs and now it is almost immediate.