Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Re: Glug-nith-discuss Digest, Vol 7, Issue 2

From: vivek shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Re: Glug-nith-discuss Digest, Vol 7, Issue 2
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:47:10 +0530

On 7/7/07, Ashwini Dhiman <address@hidden> wrote:
I am using the Ubuntu 7.04. I got the ISO from the DVD of CHIP
magazine's June issue.
I want to know if it would be safe to use it ....I mean is the source
reliable???

I don't think reliability will be a problem here unless the DVD is not
properly burnt and is faulty.

I am having some problems with it...
It is not unpacking rpm packages...

Why will it get rpm packages ? Feisty which is Ubuntu's latest release
is based on Debian and hence uses deb packages and not rpm though you
might install rpm packages using alien but then why do that when you
have an excellent package managr like Synaptic to do the work for you.

"Archive type is not Supported".

Yes because it looks for the Debian package ie the .deb file and you
gave it .rpm

Secondly, I wanted to install mplayer using ./configure but it failed
saying that some file like inttype.h and bytetype.h is missing...
What should I do???

I suggest you do everything from Synaptic. Why are you compiling
source packages when you have an utility like Synaptic.
In http://wiki.ubuntu.com you can find out which packages to install
to get various things working in the Feisty Documentation

Regards,
Vivek
--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
               -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"