[Glug-nith-discuss] Stranger than fiction hard disk

From: Vivek Shah
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] Stranger than fiction hard disk
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:09:48 +0530

hi folks,

I had earlier posted a strange incident with i/o buffer problem on my hard
disk..
Its behaving stranger than fiction now and it is apparently sorted out now.
Yesterday when after 30 mounts my root partition went for checking fsck detected
i/o buffer errors in it and mounted it in read only state and a root shell came
up
for me to proceed with my system to start up...

That almost brought my heart in my mouth ... I ran fsck again with -a -r -V
options
so that I could correct errors myself and it asked me if I want to flush the
offending
which I did and haloa the filesystem mounted with errors fixed..
It made me more adventurous and I unmounted /home which as I had told earlier
had
buffer i/o errors and when I ran the same fsck check on it even that corrected
out
so all my filesystems are clean now....
So the moral for me is "Flush buffers"
I have mailed the Acer manufacturing plant for details what might be wrong
as soon as I get them I will mail it here..........

Its party time for me now without worrying about my hard disk......
"It seems its harder to trust a hard disk than it is to trust your girlfriend"
No pun intended :-D

Cheerio,
Vivek

--

   After the game both the pawn and king go to the same chessboard