Re: [glob2-devel] Hello all

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hello all
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:47:09 +0200

Hi

> Well actually that's what I'm hoping to improve, ie allocating the most
> appropriate tasks to workers and allocating the most appropriate workers
> tasks, as well as choosing the easiest way to perform the task
> (like gathering the most accessible resource for the task). I was hoping
> implement a somewhat mathematical approach to do it, though I'm not sure
> about how the current heuristics work.

I answered to your forum thread with some details.

> However I have seen workers being allocated for tasks half a map away when
> there's another task they can do right next to them, and sometimes they

problem is that now only the task chooses the worker and not the inverse. so at
full employment workers grab the first task that's offered cause its not up to
them to choose. this should be extended to either let the task choose or the
worker.

> travel a fair distance away to get a particular resource for the building
> which was right next to them at first, even when the required resource is
> available from more nearby sources.

sure? if so please file a bug report as the globs have no idea where the
resources actually are. the only know how to get closer to them and when they
are next to one. if the behave strangely the information is wrong (globally) in
these cases.

> And how about when a worker is already
> doing a task, with the resource already being carried, but suddenly
> decides
> to abandon task and go pick up some other resource even though the
> original
> task is still incomplete and easier to perform? I've seen these happen
> quite
> a few times, but I'm not 100% certain that they're not how things are
> supposed to be or just not what they seemed to be, so please correct me if
> I'm wrong.

if by jams the target gets out of reach the worker resigns and takes new tasks.

> Also, is there any documentation I can have access to which explains the
> general architecture of the game and detailed descriptions of the
> algorithms/heuristics?

the unit assignment is some 100 loc. i posted a link to it in the forum.

> Or are these documented using in-line comments? I
> think I should read up on those before making any further assumptions...

yes

greetings,

leo