Re: [glob2-devel] YOG

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] YOG
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:56:54 +1200

Hey,

I just noticed this thread (been sitting here for 5 days or so). I was updating beta 3 server when I noticed the changed scripts, and put it back to 5 thinking they were old backups or something.

The reason you're probably getting messages every 5 seconds is that you were running it again, after something was up and running. The script/game isn't smart enough yet to know to quit the whole script if the port is already used, so from what I can tell, its killing the extra copy of the server, waiting 5 seconds, retrying, killing, waiting, retrying, killing etc in one big loop. If you run the script again, you'll get two copies trying to startup and failing.

To prevent this, you must use the individual startup scripts (not StartServer.sh), and only when you kill the instance of the server you're trying to load (beta3 for example).

What I think might help, and I'm not knowledgeable to do this all myself, is rename glob2 instances in each compiled directory to glob2_beta1, glob2_beta2, and glob2_beta3 so they show up like that in >top, instead of three same 'glob2'. Then, in each of the sh scripts, kill the server is it about to restart (kill -n"glob2_beta3"  or something) before giving it a try. That way, when you run StartServers.sh, it'll kill the instance, freeing the port in the process, before trying to rebind. It might fix the reoccuring messages.

Giszmo, your pretty handy with Linux shell scripts. Think this might be doable?

Regards
Kieran