[glob2-devel] Stability

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: [glob2-devel] Stability
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:34:46 +0200

Hi,

It's good to have a living community of contributors that add new features.
That's required for glob2 to live, so thanks a lot to anyone who contribute.

Nevertheless, there is some shadow around here (that's not a reason to call me
a Vorlon ;-) ) : glob2's stability is decreasing very fast. As today, I
estimate that there is several memory trashes, certainly with recent GUI
changes, perhaps also with string handling.

I haven't had much time to work on glob2 lately, so I don't want to teach
lessons here ; but if we want a 1.0 release soon (and I think we do), we need
to work on stability. Now that some initialization on load bugs have been
found, the reloaded maps might be more stable. But right now the GUI is too
unstable for correct testing.

So if you know some C++, and really want to help glob2, launch it in valgrind,
and try to isolate memory trashes. As a starting point, I think that there is
some freed or non-initialized pointers that are deferenced in latest changes
in SettingScreen, leading to NULL pointer exceptions.

Thanks for all your work, have a nice day,

Steph