Re: [glob2-devel] game idea

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] game idea
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:57:21 +0200

Well, I was just about to ask about the feasibility of having wave animations for the water. I wasn't thinking of anything as complex as having it be governed by wind, but that might go also.

Was just an idea. If wind is after all too hard to implement, the waves may also be created by something more fake. But it's probably always more interesting to have some kind of "local" effect, not an overall effect. As if parts have more wind and other parts have less wind. If we don't have a wind model, it can probably be easily faked by simply making areas with a more agitated animations and other areas with slower animations. The areas can then move randomly but should somehow stay compact. If there is no wind model, there is no direction, just an intensity. This makes it easy to do with a few simple animations with for eg 3 levels of "wind" intensity.

http://www.lecielestbleu.com/media/puppettoolframe.htm
Let me download macromedia Flash... I'll take a look.

Yes, this may suck for linux users, because it's not flash, it's shockwave. That's the big brother of flash, and about 2 years ago there were no shockwave player for linux. I sent a mail to macromedia saying this was ridiculous, they answered that they are" working on it" [liars!] but that there's also a way to make it work with wine, I gave up. Meanwhile, I hope they released something for linux!

OK, so that is rather stupid, and really doesn't add much, but I will keep thinking.

I also had some stupid ideas with the wind, like spreading seeds or smoking the enemy... I don't know if there is a real gameplay potential of wind.

Gabriel