ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] [OT] UEFI restricted boot

From: Rick Hodgin
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] [OT] UEFI restricted boot
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 05:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

Ludo',

In my personal opinion, our ONLY defense against any of this is GPLv3 and
completely free software.

Someone pointed out that HURD was under GPLv2, which just blew me away.  I also
found out the microkernel they use is under a FreeBSD license, and the
maintainers of that software have no intentions whatsoever of changing.

I keep saying it, but we need free software (and GPLv3 free software at that).
We're completely useless to society and the causes of freedom without it.

This is the last comment I'll make on this subject unless asked.  I don't want
to harp.  But I truly don't believe people realize what's going on here.  The
battle of UEFI and TiVo-ization are the start of what's coming.

Our only recourse (since we don't have billions of dollars) is target open
hardware and stay there, making videos, writing software, making speeches,
informing people.  Eventually people will see value in what we're doing as they
themselves encounter restrictions.

In the age of the web, non-free software is the most damaging thing to humanity
ever.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin