gforth

Re: [gforth] Gforth's fsl-util.*

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: [gforth] Gforth's fsl-util.*
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:33:43 +0100

[..]

>> * Gforth CVS contains two files, fsl-util.4th and fsl-util.fs where
>> fsl-util.fs seems to be the more recent version, however only only
>> fs-util.4th is installed.  Is that by mistake?

> I added fsl-util.4th in 2004 after a request by Krishna Myneni (and
> apparently the file did come from him).

> Bernd added fsl-util.fs in 2008.

> I don't think either of us does anything with FSL, so, since you are
> interested, how about you adopting it, and doing what you think is
> best.

Note that I'm also (currently) not using the FSL.  I'm just using
fsl-util as it's conveniently included with Gforth.  I'll see how to
clean this up.  Probably just keep one file (or a merge) and make the
other one REQUIRE the first one.

>> * Both files suffer from printing out text to stdout during loading,
>> even with WARNINGS OFF, which makes them somewhat unusable from
>> scripts that need well-defined (machine-readable) output.  (Though
>> there's a workaround [1])

> Yes, that's not Gforth style.  Just comment this stuff out (not just
> when warnings are turned off).

Ok, I guess it's okay to do the same to gray.fs ? :)

>> * The Vector/Matrix indexing operators '}' and '}}' have quite some
>> overhead when implemented in Forth.  What about adding them as
>> primitives?  (I volunteer for the job unless there're objections).

> I prefer not to add new primitives for stuff that can be coded in
> Forth.  If you want, add superinstructions for the primitive sequences
> in these words.

That's an interesting option.  I'll play around with it, once (if) I hit
any performance problems.

cheers,

David