gforth

Re: [gforth] Gforth's fsl-util.*

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Gforth's fsl-util.*
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:00:22 +0100

Am Sonntag, 25. November 2012, 10:35:22 schrieb Charles Montgomery:
> The admittedly slow high-level versions of } and }} are provided for
> the sake of portability that comes from being Standard.  If you should
> come up with improvements for a specific architecture, or other things
> as suggested by Bernd, they could be made available to other FSL users
> by adding them in an auxiliary file on the taygeta site.  (Such files
> don't need to go through the reviewing process used for the Library
> Algorithms.)

No, } and }} are broken by design, as they do not address the actual problem:
Iterate through vectors and arrays.  If you write a scientific library, you
should have good higher order primitives, and iteration through a vector or
array is such a higher order primitive.

Don't think in Fortran.  Think in Forth.  Factor (this implies common factors
for vector/matrix operations like v* and faxpy), and extend the language.

AFAIK, we install the fsl-util.fth, because FSL loads that particular
filename.  As we in Gforth don't use that file extension (we use .fs), we
accidently duplicated the files...

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/