Re: [Getfem-users] textile structure modelling

From: jean-yves heddebaut
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] textile structure modelling
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:33:39 +0100

Alex,

thank you for your answer.
I was thinking about using the bilaplacian but I was wondering if it would be representative of the behavior I want to simulate.

The idea is to study the stresses in a tent fabric exposed to the load of snow and wind ( considered to be an constant force acting on the fabric, the aerodynamic effects are not considered) I guess that only the membrane behavior of the fabric has to be considered(the flexion part could be disregarded).

The force component acting in the plane of the fabric are balanced by membrane stresses. This seems to be OK with the bilaplacian solution.
My concern is about the normal component of the forces.

Would this normal load be correctly modelized , as it requires to take the displacements of the membrane into account ? I am not familiar with the mathematical aspects. I don't know the hypothesis used to arrive to the bilaplacian equation. Does it take into account non negligible displacements of the forces applied to the membrane ?

Thank you very much for any help

jy

ps:I found an interesting document concerning the problem on http:// theses-en-ligne.ccsd.cnrs.fr/documents/archives0/00/00/17/02/ index_fr.html