Re: [Getfem-users] textile structure modelling

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] textile structure modelling
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:31:52 +0100

On Monday 28 January 2008 16:54, jean-yves heddebaut wrote:
>   Hello everybody,
>
> I don't have much experience in FEM and I would greatly appreciate
> any advice.
> I would like to use getfem to study the stress concentration in a
> structure made of textile fabric.
> I think that we can reasonably neglect the orthotropic caracter of
> the fabric.
>
> I tried to use  the isotropic linearized plate brick , but I wonder
> if it is adapted to the problem
>       1. the load will induce displacements which are not negligible. Is
> this acceptable in the inearized plate brick ?
>       2. how do I extract some stress information (von mises criteria for
> exemple) from the displacements? (ut and u3 are separated fields)
>
> Is there another brick more adaptet to the problem (bilaplacian maybe)
>

> Thank you very much for any help
>

> jean-yves heddebaut

A textile fabric has a very low  resistance to flexion and usually has large
déformations. Linearized plate models (including bilaplacien) are for the
inverse: small deformations and  resistance to flexion. So, I don't think it
is a good choice, unfortunatelly.

I don't really know what kind of model is usually used for this kind of
material. The resistance to flexion is often rather negligible, so the
resistance of the structure is due to the membrane tension. But the
deformations can be very large and non-smooth. Not easy to represent.

Anyone has an opinion ?

Sincerly,

Yves.

PS : I know someone in Grenoble university who worked on such a problem
is e-mail: address@hidden
There is an excample on his homepage
http://ljk.imag.fr/membres/Emmanuel.Maitre/

--

  Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
  Pole de Mathematiques, INSA de Lyon          fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------