geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Overriding the M-[backquote] key binding

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Overriding the M-[backquote] key binding
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 21:25:46 -0500

Although i use Emacs almost exclusively on a terminal, i hadn't
noticed
this conflict (because, as you might guess, i don't use tmm-menubar).
I wanted to provide an alternative to C-. because that key combo is
not
recognized in some terminals (notably, the one i use, urxvt), and M-`
is
nicely close to M-TAB in US keyboards. I kind of like it, but i guess
should be nice and leave the standard binding alone. Any suggestions
for
an alternative?

Some possible candidates:

  C-c ` (backquote)
  C-c TAB
  M-S-TAB (M-BACKTAB)
  C-TAB

Some rules for guidance, which you appear to be using already.

1) Don't use key bindings that Emacs has already claimed.

2) Try to follow SLIME, when the capability provided is the same.

3) Consider following the recommendation in the node "(elisp) Keymaps
and Minor Modes," which is, for minor modes, to use C-c plus a key from
a list that it provides.

4) If you are anticipating a group of similar capabilities (in this
case, "completion"-related capabilities), consider giving them the
same prefix.

My suggestion is to use 'C-c `' (backquote) because it follows the
rules above, unless and until Geiser has a group of completion key
bindings that need a common prefix.  (There is the risk that some
day one of the other minor modes, for example, paredit, would use
the same key binding.)

--
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge
we