gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Re: How to get complete UTF-8 localization ....?

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Re: How to get complete UTF-8 localization ....?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:24:43 +0100

I found a workaround, which probably also reflects a standard setup:

My user profile script which is sourced both for textconsole tty and xterminal
pty,
exports iso-8859-15 by default. It will be LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15 for root,
and address@hidden for users. UTF-8 will be set by my custom login manager
(a '/usr/bin/dialog' popping up after tty PAM login, so i don't need to start
any
xsession at all if i only need a root shell for example, and it also skips the
graphical
login manager -> very fast). but only if i actually choose xsession (there are
some
other options). That's probably nearly the same any gdm/kdm/wdm/xdm would also
do.

Then i need to remember not to create filenames with german umlauts (or € or
other
special UTF chars) in gtk-2 apps, if i like to see them in gtk-1 or terminals
correctly, too,
but I think i can live with that.

I think that's just like it is:
Only gtk-2 supports UTF-8, Gnome depends on it, xterminals and textconsole
cannot
do UTF-8, they only can do iso-8859-15, with € sign on xtermnals but not on
textconsole
(maybe with special keymap it is possible too), while Gnome seems to rejects
ISO.
So what we have here, is an incomplete transition.
But there are gkt-1 applications like Sylpheed and xlogmaster, and even TK (?)
ones like
nedit, and also the different terminals,  which are most useful, i won't ditch
them soon.

   °
 /\/