gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] How to get complete UTF-8 localization ....?

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-dev] How to get complete UTF-8 localization ....?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:30:26 +0100

| Looks like gome-desktop works only with LANG=xy_XY.UTF-8...

With that LANG setting i find that both nautilus and gcmd handle german
umlauts (and € =euro) in filenames OK, but gtk-1 apps like sylpheed can't
interpret them, neither can xterminals nor textconsole. Also not mc. I can
*write* ö (oe) and ü (ue, -> how do they appear to you?) however, in a message
in sylpheed, or a textfile in mcedit or nedit too.
Apparently gtk-1 and textconsole (and also sterminals) can not handle UTF-8,
and they fall back to ISO-8859-15 interpretation somehow.

The keymaps, fonts, and locales are all available, of course, for example i
set german keyboard layout with no dead keys, compiled ISO-8859-1 and -15
and -UTF-8 locales ( -> /etc/locale.gen ) and installed additional german
console
fonts via 'fonty' package. I ran any available configuring tool.

However, if i try to make it easy, and set address@hidden (which works
ok for textconsole and for gtk-1) then gnome-session rejects it as unknown,
and falls back to failsafe 'C' (american, no umlauts).

So. How on earth do they expect advanced users to like linux?!
I should give SuSe and other distros a try, however, before complaining.
Possibly it's debians fault, or i just forgot to install something important
(but then, how could they let me get away with that, then. I installed
all recommended packages for console, and localization, i could find
by searching the package list by keywords - even a special 'german textconsole'
package which apparently does work with ISO-8859-15.)

   °
 /\/