gcl-devel

Re: [Maxima-discuss] gcl-2.6.13 released [stable]

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Maxima-discuss] gcl-2.6.13 released [stable]
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:28:53 -0800

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 9:31 AM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know GCL or Lisp at all really but according to wikipedia GCL
"produces native object code by first generating C code and then
calling a C compiler". If that's correct then in combination with a C
compiler that generates WASM it should be possible for GCL to compile
e.g. Maxima to WASM. Then it would be possible to run Maxima in the
browser with no local install needed.

I think it would be great to be able to do this, but I think all of the Lisps that compile to C require special things (signals?) to implement GC.  That probably won't work well in WASM.

--
Oscar