gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Todo list...

From: James Amundson
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Todo list...
Date: 16 May 2002 13:46:16 -0500

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 11:57, Vadim V. Zhytnikov wrote:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
>
> > Dear Friends of Gcl!  I *may* be able to get some time in the next few
> > days to work a bit on gcl.  A number of issues have been raised and
> > are outstanding.  Are there suggestions as to prioritization?
> >

> I think that the most urgent need is to eliminate GCL incompatibility
> with current Maxima CVS.

I am sorry to say that I haven't done a good job of conveying those
problems to the GCL list. Here are the problems I know about, off the
top of my head:

1) f2cl-lib.lisp fails to compile because of some sort of internal GCL
error. I reported this to the GCL list, but I haven't pinned down the
problem. I can work around the problem by not compiling f2cl-lib.

2) destructuring-bind is in the user package. I think it should be in
the lisp package. I hadn't reported this problem yet because I wanted to
make sure "lisp" is the right place. I'm pretty sure. I can workaround
this with a #+gcl(import...), but it will get ugly if I workaround it
now, then it gets fixed later. A fix now would be lovely.

3) array-displacement is not in GCL. This is a real problem because a
suitable replacement cannot be created at the user level.
array-displacement requires some information available only to the
implementation. I have a really hacky workaround, but it requires adding
extra code every time make-array is called. This is high on my list of
problems with GCL right now.

Ray might be able to elaborate on GCL problems with current cvs. Ray?

--Jim