Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:57:29 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:
Richard Smedley wrote:
An announcement is up at http://goodGNUs.org/ & follow-ups
will appear there too.

The announcement is at http://www.goodgnus.org/2009/11/so-long-affs/
(posted for an ulterior motive reason).

I couldn't mention the money without at least a sentence or two looking
back on AFFS. From recent conversations, it is still remembered by
some for its raising of awareness about Free Software.

Beyond this, I remain interested in what scope there
is for a national group for Free Software advocacy
in the UK now that AFFS is gone, and would love to
hear thoughts on this.

What things could a national group usefully do?  Did AFFS wither
because it was a solution looking for a problem?

I think that's partly why I asked. While I feel that
it would be a good thing, I'm struggling in building
a "business case" for such  beast. However a
show of enthusiasm and ideas would suggest a
rethink ;-)

  Its aims were:

     1. to promote and advance the knowledge, development, use and
     application of Free Software pioneered by the Free Software
     Foundation and others.

Well, this is an FSF-E aim, so we need perhaps to encourage
them into the UK?
     2. to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use
     and development of Free Software.

Possibly this is done well enough through other channels for
many of us, but I wonder if some people are missing out
on vrious projects and events?

     3. to inform upon the subject of Free Software.

ditto

     4. to encourage internationalisation and localisation of Free Software.

This seems to happen pretty well, all things considered.

     5. to ensure the continued legal existence of Free Software
     within the United Kingdom.

Another FSF-E interest, surely?

Is that enough to rally people around?  How should they be done?
What else could/should be done?

All good questions :-)

- Richard

--