Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:15:23 +0000 (GMT)

Richard Smedley wrote:
> An announcement is up at http://goodGNUs.org/ & follow-ups
> will appear there too.

The announcement is at http://www.goodgnus.org/2009/11/so-long-affs/
(posted for an ulterior motive reason).

> Beyond this, I remain interested in what scope there
> is for a national group for Free Software advocacy
> in the UK now that AFFS is gone, and would love to
> hear thoughts on this.

What things could a national group usefully do?  Did AFFS wither
because it was a solution looking for a problem?  Its aims were:

     1. to promote and advance the knowledge, development, use and
     application of Free Software pioneered by the Free Software
     Foundation and others.

     2. to facilitate the exchange of information and views on the use
     and development of Free Software.

     3. to inform upon the subject of Free Software.

     4. to encourage internationalisation and localisation of Free Software.

     5. to ensure the continued legal existence of Free Software
     within the United Kingdom.

Is that enough to rally people around?  How should they be done?
What else could/should be done?

I've posted my thoughts about that previously, so I'm interested
in what others have to say about the way forwards.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software