Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Flash-equivalents

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Flash-equivalents
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:26:34 +0100

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:13:35AM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:

> It would also be interesting if somebody made a tool that produced the SVG+JS
> output instead of a SWF file (ideally both). That would at least mean that
> webmasters could produce both in some instances and provide users with the
> option.

I'm not particularly bothered about it being proprietary, although the
lack of FLOSS software to create it is worrying (unlike PDF which OO.o
can create happily, as can several other free tools).  I do wonder about
the FSF using something which can only be produced using proprietary
tools and has mostly proprietary viewers.

I refuse to have Flash on any of my machines, not because it's
proprietary but because it is a risk.  Anything which allows other
people to run code on my machine without my express permission is a
risk, I only have JavaScript on for sites that I trust (and they could
get hijacked but I'll take that risk for those sites).

Chris C