[Fsfe-uk] brian white's parliamentary questions

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] brian white's parliamentary questions
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:22:25 +0000

Hi all,

MP Brian White has been asking all the government departments how much use they make of free software; I've put all the responses which have come in so far (lifted from Hansard, via the excellent 'theyworkforyou.com') together on one page:
http://open.egov.org.uk/Response_to_Brian_White

Generally depressing reading - the 'value for money' line in the policy document is definitely being taken the way MS intended, as a letoff for sticking with proprietary software, and it's clear that government policy is to avoid free software as far as possible while paying it lip-service for diplomatic reasons. Otherwise, there's a few departments that are quite different, though I don't know how real it is: from Health ('The Department does not use open source software (OSS) on any of its implemented or planned computer systems.') at one extreme to International Development ('It is expected that by 2007, up to 70 per cent. of DFID's computer systems will include some OSS components') at the other.

Does anyone know what connections Brian White has with free software? He seems to be very persistent, this isn't his first set of questions. I'm wondering how he could be backed up; can the AFFS 'sponsor an MP' ? :-)

Cheers
Graham