[Fsfe-uk] tech_2 starts up in Lancaster

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] tech_2 starts up in Lancaster
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:24:20 +0100

http://tech2.southspace.net/front.php3?article_id=57&group=webcast

tech_2 starts up in Lancaster

Redundant Technology Initiative, A2RT (Access to Recycled Technology) plus
Seeds for Change from Lancaster and tech_2 regulars settle into Folly Gallery
for a 10 day session....

16/17 08 02

Tech_2 has decended upon Folly inLancaster. I missed the first few hours as i
came down from Grizedale, but by the time i entered the building, RTI
(Redundant Technology Initiative) from Sheffield and A2RT (Access to Recyled
Technology) from Brimingham had already stacked the room with computers and
parts in questionable shape.

That was the evening before the actual *opening* of the Tech_2 presence in
the gallery. The following day the piles of equipment were taken apart at
breathtaking pace. And out of the ashes emerged at least one working machine
and one working router, handling two LANs - one for the office and one to
play.

Other than that, the assembly line seems to take it easy, with half a dozen
half-finished Linux installations sitting around. Install CDs have become a
desirable item, hidden in the far corners of this space in some CD drives in
machines which - from the outside - match the description of *land-fill*.

There are three ideal outcomes floating in the air. One and two relate to
working Linux networks for Folly and A2RT. Both of these outcomes are
currently pending. The third aim was to generate a transparent process by
which seemingly useless hardware is turned into worthwhile tools. And
transparent it is. Anyhow, it would be hard to mystify the
process, as every step is accounted for by the search for a screw, a network
card a screwdriver, a power lead.

More than that, the assembly line itself is made transparent as there are the
occasional visitors passing through the gallery space. Asking how they heard
about this event, it is good to hear the something as ancient as the local
newspaper still does the trick to bring people together. And those who did
come here for a purpose seem to get out of Tech_2 what they were hoping for,
installing various Linux distributions on machines, learning about device
drivers and auto-detection under Linux or simply tearing a machine into bits,
screwing it alongside the gallery wall and then connecting it up again,
giving the resemblance of Ash in Alien after the crew decided to shorten the
life expectancy of the android with a fire distinguisher. It still speaks.

Well, this one flashes and bleeps, but given another few hours it will at
least check e-mail for you.

Micz Flor - address@hidden

- --
- -------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html