[Fsfe-uk] Re: EC Copyright Directive/tracking and Article 7

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: EC Copyright Directive/tracking and Article 7
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:31:51 +0100

On Tuesday 13 August 2002  3:52 pm, you wrote:
> One aspects I'm not clear on, what happens when the publisher
> using such tracking systems for their copyrighted materials is
> not covered by EC safeguards on privacy.

EC Directive/Data Protection Act 1998 require that cotries outside EU have
comperable data protection policies.

This almost caused a breakdown between US and Europe two years ago, but they
signed a concordat in the interim, until the US makes a formal policy that
can satisfy the EU.

In general then, if the transfer doesn't meet the EU standards on
International transfers, it can't happen. but what if it does? My
interpretation - technically you could use this as a legal excuse to block
any tracking traffic locally destined for servers outside of the EU's data
protection controls.

> In principal you can argue it is an end users choice to use a
> particular copyrightable work, but in reality this is not always
> the case, take suggested or compulsory reading for Univeristy
> degrees.

There is no choice - e.g. government education policy required training on
Micro$oft systems.

This is actually a good arguement for application of the Human Rights Act
because, through the action of the government as a whole, there is a de facto
policy of making people use proprietary systems, and hence the possibility of
having to disclose tracking data.

Let's also not forget that the tracking system's are not a pipe dream - they
are an implicit part of M$'s '.Net' development strategy. Go to
msdn.microsoft.com and have a read of the "HailStorm Strategy" - the terms of
Article 7 of the Directive could have been written by M$'s legal section (and
in fact, they probably had a lot to do with it!!)

P.

- --
- -------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html