Re: [Fsfe-uk] Meeting

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Meeting
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:06:10 +0100

On Thursday 25 October 2001 7:30 pm, you wrote:
> First of all, I know that we are trying to plan some way of
> meeting. Well I would like to suggest we do so somewhere in the middle
> of November.

It may seem that little happens here; the truth is that there seem generally
not enough people to build anything of any meaning. The previous meeting
(cancelled due to Expo) was designed so that we would be able to talk with
out continental cousins (FSFE, APRIL et al) some of whom would be speaking.

It is very rare that FSF(E) members are in the UK in any quantity; RMS
himself has spoken precious few times (although he graciously spoke at my lug
last year, and was very good) over here, and I can't think (OTOH) of a public
appearance in recent times. Hopefully the next 'real' meeting will happen
next May, but again, expo companies and economies dictate....

> Please post comments regarding exactly when/where you can meet.

I suggest we stick to the previous proposal by Marc - third week November in
Birmingham. I can't remember anyone saying that was bad for them, and we have
the benefit of good facilities that can be arranged to suit. (BTW - I prefer
weekend, given I work in London).

I seem to recall that nobody on this list is Debian-UK (or, at least, wasn't
last time I asked, which was many months ago :) - if we do set a firm date, I
suggest we publicise somewhat widely to such lists (& lugmaster & the rest),
and soon.

Cheers,
                                        Alex.