Re: how update the website for the complex layout

From: Harold Hallikainen
Subject: Re: how update the website for the complex layout
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:04:34 -0700

> On Wed, 19 May 2021 04:58:08 +0000 (UTC), Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>> HarfBuzz is a text shaping library; it is not meant to actually do
>> text layout.
>
> Do you mean it is lacking things like recognizing word breaks and line
> breaks? Because it can lay out a line of text pretty well.

And in my application (cinema subtitles) a UTF-8 string is passed in with
an output of horizontal or vertical text. There are XML attributes to the
Text element that indicate the direction (left to right, top down, right
to left, or bidirectional (using the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm).
Each Text element includes one line (or column) of text, so line breaks
are handled during authoring (creation of the XML subtitle file).

Harold