Re: how update the website for the complex layout

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: how update the website for the complex layout
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 02:56:34 +1200

On Sun, 16 May 2021 21:30:25 +0900, suzuki toshiya wrote:

> BTW, I wonder whether current last answer referring Pango should be
> improved by referring HarfBuzz. Yes, Pango is still essential part of
> GTK+, but HarfBuzz is becoming more general framework broader than
> GTK+. How do you feel?

Myself, I’ve never used Pango. I managed to do Python wrappers
for FreeType, Cairo, HarfBuzz and FriBidi, but never got as far as
Pango ;). In other words, I don’t feel qualified to offer any opinion
on it.

By the way, following up Werner’s suggestion about mentioning ICU, and
idly looking through packages in the standard Debian repo, I came
across libicu-le-hb <https://github.com/behdad/icu-le-hb>, where Behdad
has stripped out the shaping engine from libicu and replaced it with
HarfBuzz.