Re: [ft] Question regarding handling of fonts with FontConfig/FreeType o

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Question regarding handling of fonts with FontConfig/FreeType on Linux on Embedded System
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 08:17:30 +0100 (CET)

> I am trying to use fonts (in my case one or more of the Google Noto
> Fonts) in latest Qt on Embedded Linux which is using FontConfig and
> FreeType in the background.  I can display chinese characters (with
> one of the simplified chinese fonts), but it does not contain
> e.g. certain polish characters.  It displays just a box with a cross
> inside. Other font contain the polish character, but not the chinese
> characters.
>
> On Windows, when loading one font and not finding a requested
> character, it just falls back to another font (I can see it is
> displayed a bit different, because displayed in bold and different
> font without any action on my side).  Is there an automatic way with
> FontConfig/FreeType to get characters, which are not available in
> one font, to get loaded from a different font?

No, sorry.  At the last ATypI meeting in Poland there I had some
discussion how to improve that using composite font objects (the
correct name currently doesn't come to my mind, sorry), but there
aren't any plans yet since we need a solution that works on all
platforms.

> Or can we perhaps merge two (Google noto) font together into one
> font?  Is there some suggested tool for doing this?

Merging fonts is certainly possible.  Try `pyftmerge' from
`fonttools'.